Email marketing is a key tactic in most marketing plans because it works. It also has a larger reach compared to social media channels.1,5 You may not have a Twitter or Instagram account, but chances are quite high you have an email account – unless you absolutely do not have an online profile. Email marketing is also relatively cheap and effective, resulting in a higher return on investment.1,2,4,5 It also really helps, you can target audiences, track performance, review campaign metrics and use that to better understand your audience and achieve your marketing goals.1,3,4,5
1. Mobile friendly emails please 7,9
With the growth of mobile users, this has got to be a given that your emails must look great on a mobile device. You can reinforce this by implementing a single column template, a good sized call-to-action button and ensuring your text can be easily read at the right size. 7
2. Compelling, clear email header and sub-header lines 6,7,9
Keep subject lines simple, clearly calling the user to action. It should support and fit well with the message content and be under 50 characters’ length. Craft your email headers and sub-headers to work cohesively, instigating the user to open the email and question themselves if they should act. Some good examples are J.Crew’s Halloween mystery sale newsletter and Brother Moto’s launch party.
3. Keep the reader engaged. Tell them a story 5,9,10
It is important to balance the mix of images and text content. The content should appeal to the user, be relevant, helpful and really easy to read – as if you are conversing with them. Where possible, segment your audiences, personalise their experience. It makes readers feel their needs are important and being looked after. A good example here is Callaway Golf’s newsletter highlighting Callaway golfers.
4. Send that email at the right time 6,7,8,9
Experiment sending out your emails on different days and times to test and gauge what works best for your audiences. Optimal times for different customers and industries will vary. Test and compare to find that optimal window of time to send.
5. Purge your subscriber list 6,8,9
Low open rates affect email delivery levels. It is wise to purge your list to ensure an engaged, robust subscriber list. Think about automating your unsubscribed emails to filter out disengaged audiences like HireVue.
Email marketing can and will create more opportunities for your business. It is a great channel to use to inform and interact with your consumers. It is also a great tool to develop deeper relationships with a large audience at a relatively low cost. So why not revisit your email marketing campaign strategies and call Desketing if you need help. We’ll be happy to chat with you.
- Campaign Monitor. 2016. Why Email Marketing. [ONLINE] Available at https://www.campaignmonitor.com/resources/guides/why-email/. [Accessed 09 Nov 2016].
- Inc.com. 2016. Top 5 Reasons Why Email Marketing Still Works. [ONLINE] Available at http://www.inc.com/peter-roesler/top-5-reasons-why-email-marketing-is-still-works.html. [Accessed 09 Nov 2016].
- Forbes. 2015. 10 Reasons To Use Email Marketing (As Told By Small Businesses) [ONLINE] Available at http://www.forbes.com/sites/constantcontact/2015/09/17/10-reasons-to-use-email-marketing-as-told-by-small-businesses/#338fe9387eba. [Accessed 09 Nov 2016].
- Fatrabbit Creative. 2016. 5 Key Benefits of Email Marketing. [ONLINE] Available at https://www.fatrabbitcreative.com/blog/5-key-benefits-of-email-marketing. [Accessed 09 Nov 2016].
- MarketingSherpa. 2013. Email Marketing Benchmark Report Excerpt [ONLINE] Available at http://www.desketing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/EXCERPT-BMR-2013-Email-Marketing.pdf. [Accessed 09 Nov 2016].
- Hubspot. 2016. 15 of the Best Email Marketing Campaign Examples You’ve Ever Seen. [ONLINE] Available at http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/email-marketing-examples-list. [Accessed 09 Nov 2016].
- The HuffingtonPost. 2014. 11 Remarkable Email Marketing Tips You Need to Implement Right Away [ONLINE] Available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-collis/11-remarkable-email-marke_1_b_5710091.html. [Accessed 09 Nov 2016].
- 2016. Best Practices for Email Marketing [ONLINE] Available at http://kb.mailchimp.com/campaigns/previews-and-tests/best-practices-for-email-marketing. [Accessed 09 Nov 2016].
- CIO. 2016. 15 ways to improve your email marketing campaigns [ONLINE] Available at http://www.cio.com/article/3057992/email/15-ways-to-improve-your-email-marketing-campaigns.html. [Accessed 09 Nov 2016].
- Kissmetrics. 2016. Rethinking Email Marketing. [ONLINE] Available at https://blog.kissmetrics.com/rethinking-email-marketing/. [Accessed 09 Nov 2016].